Sunday, March 10, 2013

Bloody Mary Cream Sauce
(The 4-Ingredient Virgin)

Bowtie Pasta tossed in a light coat of Bloody Mary Cream Sauce

I'm not a Bloody Mary drinker at all, but I sampled a small cup of a Cajun Bloody Mary drink mix at a local grocery one afternoon, and the first thing out my mouth was "WOW! You could make a SAUCE out of this!" The product demonstrator, who worked directly with the drink mix company, encouraged me that yes; it was a good idea. Since I was not able to gift the mix to my brother before it neared it's expiration date, as originally planned (sorry, Danny...I owe you a bottle!), I twisted open the bottle, took a good whiff, read the ingredients, and proceeded to experiment.

I personally love to add a little liquid crab boil and Cajun seasoning (like Tony's) to the sauce for an extra kick of flavor, but the minced garlic and onions plus seasonings in the mix are enough on their own to produce a simple yet delicious sauce. I HIGHLY recommend Gator Blood Bloody Mary Mix if you can get your hands on some. As for serving? Pasta, steamed veg, potatoes, shrimp, and crawfish go very well with this creamy, spicy, tomato-y sauce.

Bloody Mary Cream Sauce with Shrimp

...Oh. And yes...I know this is technically a FIVE-ingredient recipe, but I don't count staples like oil (or salt, or pepper...) in the count. Don't hate me. ;-)



Bloody Mary Cream Sauce
Yields: about 1 cup sauce

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp
oil
½
medium onion, minced
6 toes
garlic
½ cup
Bloody Mary mix
½ cup
heavy cream, or half and half
 











Method:
1.  Heat oil on medium. Add onions and garlic, and cook until onions are softened, stirring often.


2. Pour in Bloody Mary mix and cream. Simmer until sauce is thickened and coats the spoon.




Tips:
1. Use whatever oil you prefer. I used plain vegetable oil with the test batch, but olive or canola oil would easily work as well.
2. Vodka can be added, but you may just want to add maybe a tablespoon or two for flavor. Too much liquid will cause the sauce to thin, and more simmering time would be needed to get to a saucy consistency.

5 comments:

  1. I came here from Danny's and would just like to say . . . *DROOL*. Bloody Mary's are my favorite drink and this sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :-)

      If you need any tips or suggestions, feel free to ask. Danny did have a good idea with the blackened chicken, though. When I make this, I usually used thawed frozen shrimp, cook it in the sauce, and toss in linguine or bowtie pasta.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I was thinking of trying it with scallops. Have you ever tried putting in Romano or parmesan cheese in it?

      Delete
    3. i never would have guess in a million years "just gimme butter noodles" would turn out to be a decent cook.

      Delete
    4. @Stingray- Scallops sound great! Any seafood would benefit from this sauce, actually. In fact, if you don't feel like pasta, this sauce can be further reduced to create a thicker sauce to pour over fish or chicken, or toss with other seafoods.

      @Danny- I will openly admit it: I STILL eat buttered noodles. Comfort food! ;-)

      Delete