Saturday, June 23, 2012

Grocery Budgeting
(Saving Tips for Poor People, College Kids, and Penny Pinchers)

When I go shopping for groceries, I shop by sales.Whatever is on sale is what's for dinner. I also shop for items that are already inexpensive to begin with. There are guidelines I made for myself that I personally try to stick to:
 
Produce- $1/lb and under; $2 max.
Meat and Seafood- $2/lb and under; $3 max.
Cereal- $2 a box; $2.50 max.  
Nuts- $4/lb and under, $5 max
Cheese- $5/lb and under; $10 max.

Seasonal Local Produce

"Why is the cheese $10 a lb max?!"
Well, when shopping, price is key. BUT...there are 3 other important elements I consider:

1) How filling is the food?
2) How many meals will this last me?
3) How long will the food itself last? (expiration date)


Freaking. Love. Cheese.

I freaking love cheese. I bought a $2.50 chunk of a high quality $7/lb cheese, and it lasted me for a week. It's filling, it lasts me for several snacks, and it keeps for a decent amount of time in the fridge if stored correctly.

Of course, sometimes, the secondary guidelines can override the pricing guidelines. For example, I bought a 1lb bag of frozen shrimp for $6 today. Why? Because it's a frozen item, it's healthy, and I can add it to stir fry, and most importantly, summer rolls! I mainly love shrimp for flavor, so I got the 190/230 ct shrimp, which will last me longer than buying lower count shrimp.

As for most other foods, I myself try to avoid unhealthy preservative-loaded food. I'll buy the occasional bag of chips or cookies for around $2.50 max.














No comments:

Post a Comment